The Silva Expedition 4 Military Compass is a full-sized base plate compass with graduations in Mils*. The MS version is balanced for southern hemisphere (Australia & New Zealand) – 5-year warranty**
The Expedition 4 features measuring scales for positioning (GPS), magnifier, rubber feet, luminous markings for night exercises and a declination scale inside the capsule.
The Silva Expedition 4 military compass comes with a detachable lanyard and and map measuring scales: 1:25k, 1:40k, 1:50k, mm & inches.
- measuring scales for positioning (GPS)
- graduated in Mils (see below)
- magnifying glass
- rubber feet for precision map work
- gives light for up to 4 hours – luminated by daylight/flashlight etc.
- detachable lanyard
- 5-year Silva warranty**
Silva Expedition 4 military compass specifications:
- Accuracy: ± 1° (17.8 mils)
- Altitude use: 5000m @-15 °C
- Declination adjustment: Declination scale inside capsule
- Graduation: Mils – 6400° / 360° (360° inside the capsule)
- Illumination: 4 hours after activation in light
- Impact resistance: 30g in XYZ directions and free fall from 1.5 m height into gravel
- Magnifying lens: Yes
- Material: Acrylic
- Patented red/black N/S lines in capsule: Yes
- Resolution degrees / mils: 2 / 50
- Scales: mm, inch
- Settling time from 90° angle to complete rest: 5 sec
- Settling time from 90° angle within ± 3°: 2.7 sec
- Silicon friction feet: Yes
- Size: 126 x 60 x 10 mm
- Temperature operating range: -40 to +60 °C
- Type of compass: Silva 1-2-3 System baseplate compass
- UTM position plotting scales (Romer scales): 1:25k, 1:40k, 1:50k
- Water resistance: IP68 – (more than 100 m)
- Weight: 36 grams
** 5-year warranty against defects in materials or manufacture.
Mils compasses are divided into 6400 graduations rather than the standard 360 degrees.
Mils compasses are largely used by the military and army cadets for calculation of range and scale. For example, two objects that appear to be 100 mils apart and are 1000 metres away from the observer are around 100 metres apart on the ground.
All compasses we stock are MS (magnetic south) models balanced for use in the southern hemisphere.